The Florida Panthers ended their five-game scoring streak with a 6-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Monday night as the team failed to pull off a three-game winning streak this season.
Florida dominated possession for most of the game, but the clock struck midnight. Alex Lyon A Cinderella story to the tune of three goals on twelve shots in the first two periods of the game.
Sam Bennett He suffered a lower body injury in the second half of the first period when he tried to make a comeback, but was unable to start the third period.
Florida held and even dominated the game at times, but New York was able to outlast them and turn a profit in the third period.
A 16-13 lead in scoring chances and a 22-12 lead in shooting turned into a four-goal deficit by the midpoint of the third period.
A lot of it had to do with Rangers’ presence in the slot.
None of Florida’s 16 scoring chances were dangerous.
New York jammed the area in front of the star goalie, Igor Shesterkin Saved a Panthers shot from the perimeter.
When the Rangers had the puck they were crashing the net hard and bouncing near the crease making cash.
A lot of that has to do with fatigue for the team, however, after 10 games away from home in a stretch of 9 of 11 games.
‘I just missed a few runs at the finish,’ says coach Paul Morris Said. “Their man made some saves, but I think some of our best offenses he went 2-1 and didn’t reach the net. We couldn’t find it. We were behind it and chasing it.”
The Panthers will have to regroup fairly quickly in a key clash with the Pittsburgh Penguins scheduled for Tuesday night.
Florida currently trails the Penguins by three points in the final wildcard spot in the Eastern Conference.
The difference between a regulation win and a regulation loss is 1 point and 5 points.
- Rangers 1, Panthers 0 (3:03, 1st): Adam Fox blew away gas force ring and beat Alex Lyon Backhand with a partial breakaway.
- Panthers 1, Rangers 1 (5:56, 1st, PPG): Carter Verhaeghe end a give-and-go play started by Etu Luostalinen When Anton Randell Scored his 23rd goal of the year on a power play.
- Rangers 2, Panthers 1 (17:21, 1st, PPG): Mika Zibanejad Blow up a one-timer from Artemi Panarin Home with a power play.
- Rangers 3, Panthers 1 (15:03, 2nd): Jimmy Vesey Confusion ensued in front of Florida’s net, hampering a rebound over Lyon.
- Rangers 4, Panthers 1 (7:56, 3rd): Alexis Lafrenière Jam with chaos and rebounds in front of Panthernet.
- Rangers 5, Panthers 1 (8:10, 3rd): Zibanejad scores the second of the game with a snapshot.
- Rangers 5, Panthers 2 (11:02, 3rd): Sasha Barkov Scored on rebound after 23 seconds Paul Morris We decided to pull the goalkeeper with over nine minutes remaining.
- Rangers 6, Panthers 2 (16:49): The Panthers have again ruled Lyon out of the game, Philip Chitil I made a deposit.
Colby’s Three Stars of the Game
1. Mika GibanejadNew York (2 goals, assists)
2. Adam FoxNew York (goal, 2 assists)
3. Igor ShesterkinNew York (33 saves)
Florida Panthers on deck
Florida Panthers of the Pittsburgh Penguins
- when: Tuesday, 7 pm
- Where: PPG Arena, Pittsburgh
- TV/Streaming: Barry Sports Florida. ESPN+
- wireless: WPOW 96.5-FM 2; WBZT 1230-AM (Palm Beach); WCTH 100.3-FM (Florida Keys); Sirius XM
- Panthers Radio Streaming: Sirius XM932
- Season Series (Penguins lead 1-0): Pittsburgh 4, Panthers 2 (Dec. 15)
- Last season: Florida won 2-1
- All-time regular Season series: Penguins lead 55-35-7, 4 draws
- What’s next for the Panthers: Friday vs. LA Kings, 7pm