We’re in 2023 and there’s already been a lot of intrigue. Our beloved Providence, which was riding high from the split with Quinnipiac that could have been a sweep, fell apart and started the new year with a sweep. So they left us and we welcome our old friends.
1. Ohio (18-2-2), 67 (5) — Last vote: 1
- Last Week: Ws 4-3 @ Cornell (12/17), Ws 4-0 @ Cornell (12/18), Ws 9-1 @ Lindenwood (12/30), Ws 6-0 @ Lindenwood (12/31) )
- Next week: v Wisconsin (1/13, 1/14)
During the break, the Buckeyes played a tense match against the Big Reds, reminding themselves they were the top team in the country. Then just before New Years, Ohio went to Missouri and scored two big wins.
2. Yale (14-1-1), 61 — Last vote: 2
- Last week: 3-1 v Mercyhurst (1/2), 5-0 v Mercyhurst (1/3), 3-1 @ Clarkson (1/6), 4-2 @ St. Lawrence (1 /2) 7)
- Next week: @ St. Anselm (1/10), v Brown (1/12), @ Brown (1/14)
Yale continued to roll a pair of out-of-conference games against Mercyhurst, winning easily, and the trip north went well. This week, St. He should be a run-of-the-mill trio as he travels to Anselm and pairs up with Brown.
3. Minnesota (16-3-2), 55 (2) — Last vote: 5
- Last Week: Ws 9-2 v Merrimack (1/6), Ws 8-1 v New Hampshire (1/7)
- Next week: v St. Thomas (1/13, 1/14)
The Gophers let their weakest pair of Eastern teams come to the West for a showcase, and they proceeded as expected with two big wins. Their next opponent is a step down as they host bottom-placed Tommy’s.
4. Colgate (17-2-1), 47 — Final Votes: 3
- Last Week: WINS 4-0 v Rensselaer (1/6), WINS 10-0 v Union (1/7)
- Next week: @ Syracuse (1/10), v Quinnipiac (1/13), v Princeton (1/14)
Two big shutout wins against weaker conference foes were a good way to take a break away. We host Quinnipiac for
5. Quinnipiac (20-3-0), 44 — final votes: 4
- Last week: W 0-3 v Wisconsin (12/31), W 3-0 v Wisconsin (1/1), W 3-2 v Harvard (1/6), W 3-2 v Dartmouth (1/7)
- Next week: @ Colgate (1/13), @ Cornell (1/14)
After the Bobcats split with Providence just before they defeated Wisconsin, which was next hosted, they also split. They gave up their home game against Harvard to play at Fenway Park to take the first of two close wins over the weekend. am.
6. Northeast (19-2-1), 32 — Last vote: 7
- Last Week: Won 6-0 v Boston College (1/8)
- Next week: v Boston College (1/13), v Maine (1/14)
In the first game, the Huskies took a BU team, who had already had a bad weekend with a loss to Holy Cross, to the early and frequent scoring Woodshed. Next up is another home rivalry game against his BC, with another chance to beat a Maine team that accounts for half the loss.
7. Minnesota-Duluth (15-6-1), 29 — Last Vote: 8
- Last Week: Ws 3-1 @ Wisconsin (1/7), Ws 1-0 @ Wisconsin (1/8)
- Next week: v Bemidji State (1/13, 1/14)
A big win in Wisconsin made them the “Belles of the Ball” of the week, giving home ice room to breathe in the WCHA tournament. This should give you two very easy wins when Beaver visits Duluth.
8. Wisconsin (16-5-1), 27 — Last Vote: 6
- Last Week: Won 3-0 @ Quinnipiac (12/31), Lose 0-3 @ Quinnipiac (1/1), Lose 1-3 v Minnesota Duluth (1/7), Lose 0-1 v Minnesota Duluth (1/7) )
- Next week: @ Ohio (1/13, 1/14)
The Badgers haven’t lost three games since the 2012-2013 season, when they last missed the NCAA Tournament. At this point, that doesn’t seem likely, especially since the field has expanded slightly, but the Badgers aren’t in great shape as they travel to Columbus for two.
9. Cornell (9-5-2), 12 — Last Vote: 9
- Last week: L 3-4 v Ohio State (12/17), L 0-4 v Ohio State (12/18), W 7-2 v Union (1/6), W 1-0 v Rensselaer (1 / 7)
- Next week: v Princeton (1/13), v Quinnipiac (1/14)
After the Ohio State hosts went blank, the Big Reds returned from their break and defeated two bad ECAC teams. Now they have Ivy League matches and conference meetings with top teams.
10. Pennsylvania (15-8-1), 6 — Last Vote: NR
- Last Week: Wins 4-3 vs Liu (12/30), Wins 4-1 vs Liu (12/31)
- Next week: v RIT (1/13, 1/14)
The Nittany Lions are back on the ballot thanks to Providence blowing their tires in the New Year, but have been on the verge of a comeback for some time. They’ve been winning games they need to win lately and shouldn’t give them much trouble this weekend.
Other votes: Clarkson 3, Vermont 2